The mission statement: To contribute and share my skills as a graphic designer, writer and communicator.
Design, production and management skills include:
• Self-directed, strong work ethic
• Logo and document design
• Website design, social media management
• Copy writing and editing
• Art direction and photo styling
• Project scheduling and management
• Small business marketing
• Client service and communication
• Wordpress, Adobe Creative Suite, MacOS
Summary of experience
- More than 20 years experience as a graphic design professional with an extensive knowledge of traditional and electronic printing procedures
- Bachelor’s degree in Mass Communications with minors in Graphic Design and English with continuing studies in visual and electronic arts
- Accomplishments include progressive advancement within the communications fieldand many professional awards
- Highly skilled in creating concepts that are visually compelling and on message
September 2013 – Present
Owner / operator, Donna W. McClure Graphic Design, Knoxville, TN
As the owner and operator of my single person design shop, I assist many small businesses grow their companies and larger entities maintain their brand.
- Branding concepts and production of print and web elements
- Web design and builds, maintenance
- Social media content creation and maintenance for client Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram accounts.
October 2006 – August 2013
Bluegill Creative, Knoxville, TN
Position: Art Director
Bluegill Creative is a design and marketing group serving clients in several fields including health care, retail, business to business, real estate, finance, and many others.
In my role as Art Director for Bluegill, my responsibilities included:
- Concepts and execution of advertising media such as individual and campaign advertisements, billboards, wall installations, logos, support materials, and other projects as requested
- Campaign planning and execution
- Client communication and management
October 2003 – October 2006
University of Tennessee Creative Services, Knoxville, TN
Position: Graphic Designer
My role as Graphic Designer encompassed graphic branding initiatives for the university as well as institutes and departments associated with the Knoxville campus.
As a Graphic Designer, I was responsible for:
- Redesigning a complete graphic identity for the Institute for Public Service and its four subordinate entities including logos, typographical standards, marketing and informational materials, as well as establishing production protocol
- Design and production of client-specific print and electronic materials for information, marketing and recruitment purposes
- Art direction of on-site photography, photo edits, photo research and archival of images
Beyond my design and production role at the University, I:
- Created campaigns for the University, such as the “Make Orange Green” initiative to raise recycling and waste awareness on campus.
December 2000 – October 2003
Saks, Inc. Department Store Group, Proffitt’s / McRae’s Division, Alcoa, TN
Position: Art Director
Proffitt’s / McRae’s was a moderate to upscale department store chain with locations throughout the Southeastern United States. As Art Director, my responsibilities included:
- Supervision of projects from initial design and production to creation of pre-press files. Duties also included creation of conceptual ideas for print campaigns, photo direction and photo editing, via QuarkXPress, Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe Illustrator.
- Presented and assisted in the implementation of streamlining production and proofing procedures.
- Developed cost-cutting solutions in the areas of photography and printing.
September 1996 – December 2000
Goody’s Family Clothing, 400 Goody’s Lane, Knoxville, TN
Position: Senior Graphic Designer, Special Projects
Goody’s Family Clothing is a moderately-priced clothing retailer with more than 300 stores. As Senior Designer in Goody’s corporate advertising department, responsibilities included:
- Supervision of projects from initial design to completion including conceptual ideas for print and broadcast, on-site and remote photo direction, photo styling, production of electronic files via Quark XPress, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and other software.
- Recruitment, supervision, and training of designers and interns
- Assist in coordination of production issues, i.e., contacting vendors, and project coordination
My professional background includes many years as a freelance designer. I began freelancing in 1989 with clients such as Eastern Computer, Plasti-Line, TVA, Goody’s Family Clothing, Philips Consumer Electronics and others. The knowledge gained as an entrepreneur has proved invaluable: i.e., establishing budgets, coordinating vendors, photographers, printers, freelancers, and maintaining client relationships.
Other positions have included full-time contracting for Resource, a computer consulting firm, where my responsibilities were quite varied – training, design, purchasing and coordinating print jobs, even selling the business from time to time. After that, Kinko’s provided the challenge of meeting the public as desktop publishing coordinator. Before I began freelancing, I was employed as a graphic designer at Plasti-Line, Inc. where I initiated the installation of Mac-based computers for design and production.
Silver Addy, Knoxville Ad Federation, Foothills Land Conservancy Annual Report, 2007
Gold Addy, Knoxville Ad Federation, Business to Consumer Campaigns, 2000
Gold Addy, Knoxville Ad Federation, Business to Consumer Campaigns, Multi-Media, 2000
Silver Addy, Knoxville Ad Federation, Regional/National Supplement, 2000
Bronze Addy, Knoxville Ad Federation, Annual Reports, 1999
Gold Addy, Knoxville Ad Federation, Annual Reports, 1998
Silver Addy, Knoxville Ad Federation, More than 1/2 page 4c ROP, 1998
Bronze Addy, Knoxville Ad Federation, Regional/National Supplement, 1998
Bachelor of Science in Mass Communications with minors in Graphic Design and English,
Middle Tennessee State University.
Professional and Personal References Available Upon Request